Follow us

Frequently Asked Questions About Violations Of Probation

Probation Violations

Probation violations (VOP) can happen under many circumstances. Here you can find information to help you understand what you can do and how we can help you. Please contact the experienced attorneys at Bodiford Law, P.A., to learn more about options for your specific situation.

My husband/son/friend was arrested for VOP. What does this mean?

When someone is placed on court supervision (either probation or house arrest), he or she is ordered to complete specific sanctions (such as community service hours, fines, urinalysis, court costs, etc.) within a specific amount of time. When the probation officer feels the probationer is not completing those requirements, there is a probation violation.  The probation officer will request a judge to sign an arrest warrant for the probationer. Once the warrant is signed, the police will arrest the probationer for violating the original probation or VOP.

If someone is arrested for a probation violation, how do I bail him or her out?

If the judge sets a bond amount, the probationer can be bonded out just like any other arrestee. However, many times on a violation of probation, the judge will not set a bond amount. So, the probationer will be held on a “no bond” status, which means he or she cannot bond out.

If someone is being held on “no bond, how do I get him or her out?

There are two ways to change a no bond status. You can either enter into a bond agreement with the prosecutor (but the judge must agree with the reduced amount and sign an order granting the change) or by having the probationer brought before the judge as soon as possible.

How soon can you have someone brought to court to address a “no bond status” on the probation violation?

Ordinarily a bond motion can be scheduled within a few days, often the very next day, to address the no bond status. At the bond hearing, it is possible to resolve the entire matter by admitting the violation and explaining why it occurred. The judge can then either reinstate the probationer or add sanctions.

Get Probation Violation Help From A Criminal Law Expert

You need an experienced attorney who knows the criminal system inside and out. Attorney Joe Bodiford is a board-certified attorney in criminal law. Contact Bodiford Law, P.A., to discuss how your case will progress through the criminal system, and how we can help you through his difficult time. Call or text us in Tallahassee at 850-222-4529 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.